Be Prepared for Tropical Storm Sandy
Hello again…it looks like we will have some strong winds and a ton of rain coming through on Monday & Tuesday. This brings the potential for downed trees, flooded basements, etc. Here are just a couple of quick ideas to help you and your residents be prepared:
- Think ahead and take video or photos of your property. This will help later on with any Insurance checklist claims for damage that may need to be filed.
- Count on the power being out. If you have a sump pump, make sure your generator is fueled up & in proper working order. Have flashlights & candles on hand, and know where they are. Remember that some ATM’s could be non-operating, so have some hard cash on hand to see you through the storm and thereafter just in case. When TV and computer games no longer operate, board games or a deck of cards come in handy! Arts and crafts, crayons and downloadable coloring pages are always great distractions for the kids as well.
- If you use a cell phone, save your power or have a plan to be able to charge the phone.
- Gather all necessary medications and make sure you have an adequate supply.
- Stay downwind in your home. This means if the wind is hitting the living room windows, go to the room opposite the living room. Clean up the lawn & remove any larger debris that could be turned into damaging projectiles.
- For information on emergency disaster services, including shelters, please contact the American Red Cross at 800-733-2767 (800-RED-CROSS) or online at www.redcross.org.
Stay inside & heed all public warnings, make a list of potential property issues other than the ones mentioned above, and be prepared for any storm before it hits!
Please feel free to contact me regarding any property management questions or ideas.
Til next time,
Eugene P. Bilodeau